This landside pub was renamed The Turnhouse, recalling that Edinburgh Airport began life as Turnhouse Aerodrome, established for the Royal Flying Corps in 1915 and soon renamed RAF Turnhouse. In 1971, British Airports Authority (BAA) took over. A new main runway and terminal building were added in 1977, adjacent to the old facilities, and officially opened as ‘Edinburgh Airport’. RAF Turnhouse closed in 1996 and its site developed as the ‘cargo village’, on the east side of the modern airport. The BAA terminal building was extensively developed in the late 1990s.