The earliest-surviving record of this historic building is from 1571, then known as The White Lion. Eight years later, the name was changed to The Golden Lion. The landlord paid one penny to erect a sign outside the inn. The entrance to the stable yard was in St Mildred’s Street, a narrow lane named after the church which stood on the site of the town hall opposite. St Mildred’s Street was later renamed Lion Street.