The area around this pub has changed considerably since Merton Road was laid out in 1849. The road was paved in 1862 and then lined with villas. Like many other streets and roads in Bootle, it was named after a college at either Oxford or Cambridge university. In the 1930s, two of the villas were combined to form the Merton Hotel. However, by the 1970s, it had become a pub, simply known as The Merton.