Stockley Park was once an area used for brick-making and gravel extraction. Brick-making was thirsty work. However, refreshment was available at the long-standing, but now-demolished, beer house known as The White House. Until 1912, The Stockley Park area was known as Starveall. The change of name was initiated by Broad & Co which owned a brickworks there. ‘Stockley’ came from the well-known Cowley stocks, or bricks, produced there.